The Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2023-2024 is a fully funded international student scholarship. This scholarship is available for masters and doctoral studies. This scholarship includes a stipend of £18,744 per year, health insurance, academic development funding of up to £2,000, and a family allowance of up to £15,612.
The mission of Gates Cambridge is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. This mission is to be accomplished by selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities, and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program was established in October 2000 with a US$ 210 million donation to the University of Cambridge from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the largest single donation ever made to a UK university.
Gates Cambridge will award 80 full-fee scholarships to exceptional candidates from outside the United Kingdom in 2023 to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be available to PhD students, with 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
Summary of Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- Master’s, Ph.D. Institution(s): University of Cambridge
Study in the United Kingdom
- Opportunity Focus Areas: All courses available at the University of Cambridge except those listed below.
- Program Duration: Two years for master’s degrees and three years for doctorates.
- Gates Cambridge Deadline: For US citizens, the deadline is October 12, 2022.
- Students from other countries: Depending on your course, either December 1, 2022 or January 5, 2023. (see Course Directory)
Gates Cambridge Components with discretion
On a discretionary basis, the Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding:
- Academic development funding can range from £500 to £2,000 depending on the length of your course, and can be used to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance is worth up to £10,944 for one child and £15,612 for two or more children (2022-23 rate). A partner receives no funding.
- Fieldwork – As part of your PhD, you may apply to keep your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
Courses ineligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships include:
- Any Undergraduate degree, such as a BA (undergraduate) or a BA affiliated with a university (a second BA)
- Doctor of Business Administration (BusD)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Finance Master (MFin)
- MD PGCE MBBChir Clinical Studies Doctorate of Medicine (6 years, part-time)
- Medical Graduate Program (A101)
- Part-time studies
- Non-degree programs
Eligibility Criteria for Gates Cambridge Scholarship
To be eligible for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, candidates must meet all of the requirements listed below:
- English is the required language.
- All countries in the world are eligible.
- Academic success.
- You should be able to make a compelling case for pursuing a specific postgraduate degree at Cambridge.
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of others.
- Leadership potential.
- To pursue a full-time postgraduate degree, applicants must be from countries other than the United Kingdom.
How to Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
To apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, please follow the steps below:
- Apply for a course, a College place, and the Gates Cambridge portion of the funding section.
- Create an account on the website.
- Enter your personal information here.
- Please submit the following documents:
- Cambridge Gates Statement: Please explain why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria in no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words).
- Proposal for research (PhD applicants only)
- Reference to Bill Gates: Gates Cambridge applicants must submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship in addition to two academic references.
- Respond to the application questions.
- Submit your application.