Have you ever considered the excitement of receiving a scholarship that covers part or all of your expenses to study abroad? It is a desire that almost everyone harbors, including the wealthy who want to ease the financial burden for their children. However, many people are hesitant to apply for scholarships to study abroad, perhaps due to a lack of knowledge on the process or the belief that it is very challenging or almost unattainable. The truth is, it is not an easy feat, but it is not impossible either. With this article, you will be guided through the process, step-by-step, on how to apply for a scholarship in Canada.
Why Choose to Study in Canada?
Canada is among the countries that offer excellent opportunities for international students to study abroad, and there is a wide range of scholarships available to choose from. With approximately 96 universities situated in both urban and rural areas, some of which are ranked among the best globally, Canada is a top destination for students seeking quality education. Additionally, the country boasts of two national languages; English and French.
Canada also has colleges that offer short courses and diplomas, providing diversities to meet the needs and interests of various students. Furthermore, Canada offers work and study opportunities to full-time students, allowing them to work 20 hours per week during semesters and full-time during winter and summer breaks, offering a range of advantages to students who wish to work.
While this article aims to guide you on how to apply for scholarships in Canada, it is important to note that the country experiences cold weather. If you do not have a good tolerance for cold, it may be best to consider other destinations.
Top Universities You Can Apply for Scholarship
- The University of Queen’s
- Toronto University
- Waterloo University
- Alberta University
- Western University is a division of the University of British Columbia.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for Scholarships in Canada
- Understand the requirements Before applying for any scholarship or program in Canada, it is crucial to understand the requirements and check for eligibility. Failing to meet the requirements can result in disqualification, so it’s important to thoroughly review them.
- Research available scholarships and choose a school Canada offers numerous scholarships for international students with varying funding amounts. Conduct research and apply for as many scholarships as possible that meet your needs and goals.
- Apply early Late application can make it difficult to receive a scholarship, as early applicants are given priority. Start planning and preparing for your scholarship applications as soon as possible.
- Obtain reference letters Reference letters are important and should be taken seriously. Choose a person who knows you well and can write a letter on your behalf. The letter should be written on official letterhead and signed.
- Showcase your creativity, not just academics Scholarships are not solely based on academic merit. Some scholarships are awarded based on extracurricular activities, such as sports, music, or dance. Highlighting your unique talents and skills can increase your chances of receiving a scholarship.
Here are the general requirements for applying for a scholarship in Canada:
- Strong academic performance Most scholarships in Canada are awarded based on merit, so having good grades is crucial to increase your chances of getting selected.
- Language proficiency Taking proficiency tests like TOEFL or IELTS and achieving good scores will demonstrate your language skills and improve your chances of being selected. Proficiency in English or French is essential for most scholarships.
- Extracurricular activities Participation in extracurricular activities such as sports, music, volunteer work, or community service can be an advantage when applying for some scholarships. It shows that you are well-rounded and have other skills beyond academics.
Some Available Scholarship In Canada
|Banting Postdoctoral Scholarships||Postdoctoral medical research|
|IDRC Research Awards||Masters and doctoral programs|
|Vanier Canada Scholarship||Postgraduate and research programs|
|President Scholarship||Undergraduate programs|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||Graduate programs|
|Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships||Doctoral programs|
|Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan||Masters and doctoral programs|
|Ontario Trillium Scholarship||PhD programs|
Scholarships Offered by Canadian Universities
|University of Waterloo International Funding||University of Waterloo||Undergraduate engineering programs|
|UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award||University of British Columbia||Undergraduate programs|
|Western University’s International President’s Entrance Scholarship||Western University||Academic Performance|
|Lester B Pearson Scholarship||University of Toronto||Undergraduate programs|
|York University Automatic Entrance Scholarship||York University||Undergraduate and postgraduate programs|
|Internal and Donor Funded awards||Simon Fraser University||Research-based graduate program|
|University of Manitoba Graduate Scholarship||University of Manitoba||Masters and Ph.D. programs|
|University of Alberta Entrance Scholarships||University of Alberta||Masters programs|
|David Strangway Award for Excellence||Quest University||Undergraduate programs|
|University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship||University of Calgary||Undergraduate programs|
How can I get scholarship to study in Canada from Nigeria?
Scholarships in Canada for Nigerian Students If you are a Nigerian student seeking to study in Canada, you may want to consider the following scholarship programs:
- Jennings Memorial Scholarship Program, 2023 The Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship Program offers scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in accounting, business administration, finance, and criminal justice. Nigerian students may be eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
- Mitacs 2023 Globalink Research Internship – Canada The Mitacs Globalink Research Internship is a competitive initiative for international students to undertake research projects in Canada. Nigerian students interested in research internships may be eligible to apply.
- Microsoft Imagine Cup Global Competition The Microsoft Imagine Cup Global Competition is open to students worldwide who have innovative ideas and solutions for global issues. Nigerian students with ideas in technology and innovation may be eligible to apply for this competition.
How much will it cost a Nigerian to study in Canada?
How much does it cost to study in Canada?
|Study program||Average annual fee in CAD|
|Undergraduate program||$13,000 to $20,000|
|Postgraduate master’s degree||$17,000 to $25,000|
|Doctoral degree||$7,000 to $15,000|
|MBA||$30,000 to $40,000|